Friday, February 2, 2018

Coffee Talk (February)


My back porch was as far as I ventured
outside on our January snow day.
Welcome to Coffee Talk!


It's time for the monthly Ultimate Coffee Date and, as luck would have it, time for the Friday Five.

I enjoy these monthly coffee chats.  I've brewed an extra dark coffee in my mug, added a splash of coconut creamer and I'm ready to catch up.  

Let's chat about whatever randomness comes to mind... 

Here are the five things I'd tell you over coffee:






Over Coffee...

I'd admit to you that I drink too much of it.  Or, at least what I thought was too much.  Lately, I've tried to skip my afternoon cup and just stick with my morning two mugs.   And then this articles pops into my inbox.  Take a look at the nine reasons coffee is good for you.  Most astonishing to me are the supposed benefits of drinking 4 cups, or even 6 to 9 cups, every day.  {Gulp}  I think I'm going to Starbucks this afternoon!


Over Coffee...

I'd show you the muscle under my should blade that I keep pulling.  This time, it was trying to wrestle the heavy zippered mattress cover off the mattress.   I know it will be short lived, but that makes it no less aggravating.  And, can someone tell me why those covers are so hard to remove anyway?  After all that -- the coffee stain (from a travel mug thrown in a tote bag and plopped on the bed) didn't come out anyway.  



Say hello to Big Dog the white boxer,


Over Coffee...

We have a new, old, Big Dog.  After this foster dog visited so many times with my son -- and his home visits with prospective families never went well -- we decided to keep him ourselves.  We have no idea what his name is as he was picked up by animal control in another state.  He looks mean (or sometimes sad) but truly is a big ol' softie.  The foster organization named him Casper.  Ummmm...no.  Pacer?  Fartlek?  Tempo?  Miles?  Any suggestions?


Over Coffee...

I'd ask if you have your year all planned out.  Then, I'd confess I still haven't decided on the location of the marathon I'd like to run this year.  I've got a couple of irons in the fire (pick me, Mr. Lottery, pick me!) and am anxious to have answers.  .Another option is a downhill course in the canyons of Colorado.  I hope by our March coffee date, I can tell you which race I chose...or which race chose me. 

One cannot have too many of these...

Over Coffee...

I'd report that I'll be running another half marathon next weekend.  Wendy and I are joining forces at the Mercedes Half Marathon.  I began stalking the weather this week and saw snow in the forecast. Seriously? Again?  Poor Wendy!  I insist she come to the sunny, warm south to race and -- BOOM -- snow.  Surely it will change.   Surely.




Well, that's about all the randomness I can think of.


What would you tell me over coffee?



I'm linking with the lovely Coco and Deborah!
Be sure to stop in for coffee on Saturday and chat.
www.got2run4me.com

I'm also joining on the Friday Five 2.0 linkup
Stop by and see what everyone is talking about.








39 comments:

  1. You know I've been training in the cold all winter, so I'll be ready for whatever Birmingham brings. Except for those hills. What was I thinking? Oh, I know...I was excited to see you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll be having so much fun we won't notice those hills! The after party usually has a great band. There's that...

      Delete
  2. I can't believe y'all got snow! I think the 2 of you will have fun whatever the weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice we've had snow this year. And they keep spreading rumors about another February event. We'll see!

      Delete
  3. I used to own a coffee shop so I drink a lot of it as well! Good luck in your upcoming race

    ReplyDelete
  4. I max at out about three cups of coffee. Or maybe 4 ... That dog is so cute. You have such big hearts to adopt him. I like Pacer. :-) I know you and Wendy will have a blast no matter the weather.
    Thanks for stopping by for coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I love it, I could not drink 6 to 9 cups. I guess some people drink it all day long? The name Rocky has been thrown around...after all, he is a boxer. LOL.

      Delete
  5. That dog is adorable!! <3 I'd love to adopt a rescue dog someday when I'm out of residency and situated somewhere! Have fun at your half marathon next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many sweet dogs that need adopting! My other two were adopted as young dogs as well.

      Delete
  6. Aww his little face is so cute! Of course he needs a running themed name. I like Miles! I cannot give up my afternoon coffee either-I get headaches. You and Wendy are going to have a blast next weekend! Thanks for joining for coffee today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my running friends has a dog named Miles, so that is not an original thought. LOL. Some weeks I do pretty well without my afternoon cup.

      Delete
  7. I gave up coffee for a few years, but I'm back at it now... I was limiting myself to 1 cup a day, but somedays it's a 2 cup day. Good luck at your half next weekend... hopefuly it won't snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it's cold, one cup just doesn't seem like enough. I just feel the need for more hot beverages.

      Delete
  8. Oh no! Snow is just not fair!

    And I don't think he looks mean at all. He looks sweet. Hopefully he's more easygoing than Bandit! Getting that darn dog to eat is STILL a problem . . . unless it's turkey, of course. The turkey the humans eat. I save some to spike his food with. Otherwise he just sits there in the morning with his nose in the air.

    Good luck in whichever marathon chooses you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for barking at neighbor dogs (and can you blame him?) this dog is the most well behaved dog I've ever been around. He's much better than my other two!

      Delete
  9. Oh, your new canine family member looks adorable! How about Strider? ;-) I really need to reconsider this coffee thing...I've never drank it because the taste just does not work for me, but I'm in the minority...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure there is a Starbucks coffee that you would like. My husband is not a coffee fan either but enjoys their Vanilla Latte.

      Delete
  10. Aww that pup has a sweet, sad face. Glad he's found a home with you!

    I can't imagine drinking more 6-9 cups of coffee a day - I've been trying to hold to just two.

    Looking forward to hearing which marathon you pick. I still haven't settled on my fall race and it stressing me out a bit - I'd like to get it settled soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6-9 does sound extreme to me. I usually prepare two mugs about an hour apart and don't always finish the 2nd one. I'm ready to pin down this marathon thing!

      Delete
  11. He's definitely a handsome pup, that's for sure! I'm in love with his ears. :) I'm probably not good at helping with naming - we name our dogs after Beatles songs/albums. lol

    How many cups of coffee do I need to drink? Um....I'm lucky if I can do 1 1/2 cups. My tummy says no. haha Do not, however, share this information with my husband. That man lives on coffee and I've been trying to get him to cut back! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is great inspiration for names! Now I'm thinking along a whole different line. I can't believe anyone would tell us to drink 6 to 9 cups of coffee a day!

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh, I am so excited that you and PoPo have adopted the Big Dog!! He is so pretty! Although, I'm guessing Mojo and Minnie are not so happy about this? I'm betting he will make a great running partner!!

    You have no idea how tempted I am to road trip to Birmingham to run that Mercedes half with you and Wendy!!! Oh how I want that bling!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mojo and Mini have tolerated Big Dog fairly well. He only wants to play with them but they have no interest, sadly. They do enjoy his dog food though. After 10 years of the same food, wouldn't you? The Mercedes emblem medal is pretty sweet. I know all about those temptations!

      Delete
  13. What? Snow in Alabama?

    I hope you put your name in for NYC!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice this season. Twice! I would adore running in NYC. I'm not that lucky.

      Delete
  14. Yes, I hear coffee is so good for you! So, I'm telling myself more cups is a good thing! LOL!
    Awww, what a cutie the pup is. He looks like a thinker to me. You could call him Miles...dunno, my coffee is wearing off so my brain is working more slowly now.
    Totally think about NYC! I ran it twice (got in via the lottery 2015 & 2017) and it's hard race but I don't regret running it in the slightest! Love NY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would also love running NYC. I think their lottery odds are 20% or less though. Maybe one day it will be my lucky day. How awesome you've been lucky twice!

      Delete
  15. I've got no races planned this year, but I haven't raced much the past few years anyway. Excited to see which marathon chooses you. :)

    I'm terrible coming up with names but I trust that you'll choose a new one. I actually like Casper. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Casper too but think it is just not suited for such a big, strong dog. Big Dog has literally been his name when he has been with us. It just may stick at this point.

      Delete
  16. I love that you took in that dog! He definitely doesn't look like a Casper, but I'm not sure what to call him. For some reason I feel like he is an old soul and should have a human-sounding name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right! When he looks at you with those sad brown eyes, it's like a lifetime is in there.

      Delete
  17. Those mattress covers are a real pain, aren't they? I've started buying the next size up and then tucking the extra in after it's zipped up. I figure it's still protecting the mattress and it's much easier to get on and off because you have some extra material to work with.

    That's wonderful that you provided a forever home for your foster. Looking forward to hearing what you name him (also looking forward to hearing which marathon picks you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a memory foam mattress and the cover is so tight it's almost impossible to get on and off. I should probably just buy a standard one that just stretches over the top and sides. It's hard to say no to such a sweet, well-mannered dog.

      Delete
  18. Aw I don't think Big Dog looks mean!

    Sadly I'm not a coffee drinker but my fiance lives on the stuff...he's always finding articles of why coffee is good for you, lol! Can't wait to hear which marathon you choose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to show your fiance this article! It's hard to fathom drinking 6 yo 9 cups, even for me. Big Dog definitely looks sad most of the time.

      Delete
  19. I've usually named our pets on the way the looked or acted. I'm a little stumped with this one. He seems to answer to "Come Here". I'd hate for him to end up with that as a name. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, he is so cute! I don't think he looks mean at all! However, I have a 130 pound dog who has a "mean bark" but all she wants to do is lick you to death!

    I have been drinking too much coffee too! However, I only have a glass (I drink iced coffee) but I really need to go back to the days where I had one every few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 130 pounds? That is big!! Even after reading that article, I am still going to attempt to stick to my morning 2 cups.

      Delete

I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for taking the time to leave one!